Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 4: 01.04.10 Green Flash Barleywine

Green Flash Brewing Co.

Vista, California


Barleywine Style Ale


Style: American Barleywine
Availability: Year Round
Format: 22oz
ABV: 10.9%
IBU's: 85
Batch: reads "Vintage 2009"


Bottle Text & Info:


Our American-style Barleywine undergoes a three hour boil to intensify the caramel malts and the enormous Pacific Northwest hop charge. The result is a rich, estery brew with toffee notes and citrus hop flavors layered throughout. Enjoy this brew fresh today or lay it down for aging to see how the flavors of each vintage evolve.


Tasting Notes:
Pours nearly brown with a half inch tan head. Thick and creamy mouthfeel. Smells like figs and sugar. All the flavors are there. Belgian dark fruits, a little caramel, butterscotch and estery like notes. Some plum and cherry in the mix. finishing with some subtle pine. I guess I just expected a lot. I'm a huge Green Flash fan and I expected a bit more hops in the mix considering that G.F. usually hops the shit out of their beers. I wanted to be bowled over like I usually am by their beers, and I wasn't. Fact is at $5.49 a bomber, it's still one of the best buys out there.








No comments:

Post a Comment