Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 50: 02.19.10 Founder's Nemesis

Founder's Brewing Co.

Grand Rapids, Michigan


Nemesis: (2009) - Maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine.




Style: Wheatwine
Availability: Limited - One Time Brew
Format: 12oz - 4pk
ABV: 12.0%
Batch: bottled Feb. 03, 2010


Bottle text & Info:
What you have here is a rarity. A special, one-of-a-kind ale that is only made once a year. Sometimes that’s all. Forever. No more. Nada. Limited-time only. You never know what you’re gonna get. But you can be sure that it’ll be damn tasty.


Tasting Notes: 
Pretty cool concept here. Mystery ale, varies every year in alcohol and style. this year is a maple bourbon aged wheat wine. I f'n love founders. I'm pretty excited about this. Pours dark orange to light red with little to no head. only lace around the side. Rising carbonation - bubbles racing to the top at various speeds throughout the ale. Amazingly aromatic. I could wear this beer. I really just wanna pour this all over my shirt and sleep with my clothes on. Expressly bourbon on the front followed by some sweet candied pear ending with whole stick cinnamon. Sweet American bourbon on the front of this guy. So amazingly drinkable! 12%!?!?!?! really!? Medium to light body with some carmel and fig like notes. I absolutely heart this. It's not too figgy, it's not too sweet, it's got some spice, prickly carbonation and is so incredibly smooth. What's frightening is that this is gonna improve with age. Looks like I know where my birthday cash is going. This is the best beer i've had this year. Another incredible, incredible release from Founders. At 20$ a four pack, this is worth every penny. and i'm a cheap ass.


I would like to take a minute and say happy 50 days to the beer blog!


On a sadder note, i'd like to have a moment of silence and request you give a toast of your favorite beer for backstock Matt's and fam's beloved dog Harley, who's left us. Rest in peace 'ole girl. You are loved and will be forever missed! This one's for you...





2 comments:

  1. while i didnt dislike this, i am not a fan. its incredibly complex, well balanced beer. The maple notes hinted at a sweetness than married well to the bourbon tang. But that being said, I just am not a fan of barrel aged beers. I dont want whisky with my beer. But I am very impressed with the subtleness of the alcohol, 12% Could have fooled me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS ALE!!! Alex is crazy. The whiskey and barrel notes are a delightful addition! Easily one of the best ales I've had in years. Go Founders!

    ReplyDelete